In December, the MBI Board of Directors approved their 2018 legislative agenda that included recommendations from the MBI Government Affairs Committee. Throughout the summer and fall, our public affairs team has been working to identify priorities that we would focus on to improve the commercial construction industry.
The 2018 legislative agenda includes:
- Supporting a 20-year extension of SAVE for school infrastructure;
- Protecting infrastructure funds from being used for non-infrastructure projects including water quality;
- Supporting any and all efforts to bolster participation in the commercial construction workforce;
- Taking a leadership role in alternative project delivery discussions;
- Supporting all tax reform efforts to reduce the burden on Iowa taxpayers that do not affect current public funding streams necessary for infrastructure;
- Address two changes to mechanic’s lien law;
- Support the efforts of the University of Northern Iowa to secure funding for the Industrial Technology Center Renovation and Expansion project.
There is always something interesting going on at the Iowa Statehouse during the legislative session and in an effort to enhance MBI’s advocacy efforts and keep members informed, our public affairs team will host a series of webinars during the 2018 legislative session.
Every third Friday of the month in which the legislature is in session, we will provide members with insights into what is happening at the Capitol, as well as keep members informed on business and construction-related issues. Participants can hear first-hand on what our elected officials are talking about, while also learning on how they can help move MBI’s legislative agenda forward.
2018 Legislative Focus Webinars:
January 19, 2018
February 16, 2018
March 16, 2018
April 20, 2018
To register for the webinars, please follow the link here. Registering for one webinar, will register you for all the webinars.
If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact Ben Hammes at (515) 657-4401 or email@example.com